Intimate partner violence (IPV) is a serious public health issue. Research related to the causes and consequences of IPV is vital to stopping violence and helping survivors. The Add Health surveys include a number of questions related to IPV, and these have been asked at Waves II, III, and IV. Respondents answered questions about partner violence victimization and perpetration, as well as some criminal activity. For a listing of these questions, please use our and select Romantic Relationships>Intimate Partner Violence.
Add Health data is used in nearly 150 publications related to IPV, and for Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we would like to highlight a few of these more recent publications below. For a full list of publications related to IPV, search our publications database.
- Alleyne-Green, B., Grinnell-Davis, C., Clark, T. T., & Cryer-Coupet, Q. R. (2015). The role of fathers in reducing dating violence victimization and sexual risk behaviors among a national sample of Black adolescents. Children and Youth Services Review, 55, 48-55. doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2015.04.005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.childyouth.2015.04.005
- Clark, C. J., Alonso, A., Everson-Rose, S. A., Spencer, R. A., Brady, S. S., Resnick, M. D., . . . Suglia, S. F. (2016). Intimate Partner Violence in Late Adolescence and Young Adulthood and Subsequent Cardiovascular Risk in Adulthood. Preventive Medicine, 87, 132-137. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.02.031. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.ypmed.2016.02.031
- Iratzoqui, A., & Watts, S. J. (2016). Longitudinal Risks for Domestic Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. doi: 10.1177/0886260516663897. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177%2F0886260516663897
- Kuhl, D. C., Warner, D. F., & Warner, T. D. (2015). Intimate Partner Violence Risk among Victims of Youth Violence: Are Early Unions Bad, Beneficial, or Benign? Criminology, 53(3), 427-456. doi: 10.1111/1745-9125.12075. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1745-9125.12075
- Schwab-Reese, L. M., Peek-Asa, C., & Parker, E. (2016). Associations of financial stressors and physical intimate partner violence perpetration. Injury Epidemiology, 3(1), 1-10. doi: 10.1186/s40621-016-0069-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40621-016-0069-4
- Spencer, R. A., Renner, L. M., & Clark, C. J. (2015). Patterns of Dating Violence Perpetration and Victimization in U.S. Young Adult Males and Females. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 31(15), 2576-2597. doi: 10.1177/0886260515579506. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177%2F0886260515579506
- Ulloa, E. C., Hammett, J. F., O’Neal, D. N., Lydston, E. E., & Aramburo, L. F. (2016). The Big Five Personality Traits and Intimate Partner Violence: Findings From a Large, Nationally Representative Sample. Violence and Victims. doi: 10.1891/0886-6708.vv-d-15-00055. http://dx.doi.org/10.1891%2F0886-6708.vv-d-15-00055
- Dellor, E. (2015, Nov 3, 2015). Childhood Maltreatment, Risk of Intimate Partner Violence and Inflammation in Young Adults. Paper presented at the American Public Health Association 143rd Annual Meeting and Exposition, Chicago, IL. https://apha.confex.com/apha/143am/webprogram/Paper327026.html
- Manlove, J., Welti, K., & Karpilow, Q. (2015, April 30-May 2 2015). Relationship Violence Typologies and Condom Use in Young Adult Dating Relationships. Paper presented at the Population Association of America Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. http://paa2015.princeton.edu/abstracts/152431
- Aguirre, E. (2015). Depressive symptoms and suicidality among survivors of intimate partner violence. (1563623 M.S.W.), California State University, Los Angeles, Ann Arbor. http://libproxy.lib.unc.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1611854959?accountid=14244