Racial/Ethnic and Sex/Gender Differences in Sleep Duration Trajectories From Adolescence to Adulthood in a US National Sample

Citation

Saelee, Ryan; Haardörfer, Regine; Johnson, Dayna A; Gazmararian, Julie A; & Suglia, Shakira F (2022). Racial/Ethnic and Sex/Gender Differences in Sleep Duration Trajectories From Adolescence to Adulthood in a US National Sample. American Journal of Epidemiology.

Abstract

Racial/ethnic and sex/gender disparities in sleep duration have been documented in adolescence and adulthood. Identifying racial/ethnic and sex/gender differences in sleep duration trajectories from adolescence to adulthood can inform interventions on the developmental periods individuals are most at risk for short sleep duration. We examined racial/ethnic and sex/gender differences in self-reported sleep duration trajectories from adolescence to adulthood using data from Waves I, III, IV, and V of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (1994-2018; n=12,593). Multi-group growth mixture modeling was used to enumerate sleep duration trajectories from adolescence to adulthood. There were three common trajectory types across race/ethnicity and sex/gender groups: 1) Consistent Increasing Short Sleepers (i.e., increasing probability of short sleep into adulthood) (67.3%); 2) Late Onset Short Sleepers (i.e., no probability of short sleep duration in adolescence until adulthood) (20.2%); and 3) Early Onset Short Sleepers (i.e., declining probability of short sleep duration from adolescence into adulthood) (12.5%). The prevalence of the Consistent Increasing trajectory was highest among Black males, while Late Onset was highest among White females and Early Onset being the greatest among Latinx males. Findings underscore the need to intervene in early adolescence to prevent short sleep duration in adulthood.

URL

https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwac156

Keyword(s)

sleep,

Reference Type

Journal Article

Journal Title

American Journal of Epidemiology

Author(s)

Saelee, Ryan
Haardörfer, Regine
Johnson, Dayna A
Gazmararian, Julie A
Suglia, Shakira F

Year Published

2022

DOI

10.1093/aje/kwac156

Reference ID

9788